Schizophrenia in children and adolescents / edited by Helmut Remschmidt
- Additional Titles:
- Schizophrenia in Children & Adolescents
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xv, 308 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Remschmidt, Helmut
- 1. Childhood psychosis and schizophrenia: a historical review / William Ll. Parry-Jones -- 2. Definition and classification / Helmut Remschmidt -- 3. Epidemiology of early onset schizophrenia / Christopher Gillberg -- 4. Childhood schizophrenia: developmental aspects / Fred R. Volkmar -- 5. Diagnosis and differential diagnosis / Chris Hollis -- 6. Genetic aspects / Jane Scourfield and Peter McGuffin -- 7. Neurobehavioral perspective / Robert F. Asarnow and Canan Karatekin -- 8. Psychosocial factors: the social context of child and adolescent onset schizophrenia / Joan R. Asarnow, Martha C. Tompson and Michael J. Goldstein -- 9. Treatment and rehabilitation / Helmut Remschmidt, Matthias Martin and Klaus Hennighausen / [et al.] -- 10. Course and prognosis / Sally Nicola Merry and John Scott Werry.
- The earlier in life schizophrenia manifests itself, the poorer the long-term prognosis, and although it is very difficult to diagnose in the young, early treatment is now thought to improve outcome. Recent research also suggests that early onset schizophrenia has developmental precursors, making it difficult to distinguish from a number of other developmental disorders. In this timely book, an international team of psychiatrists, psychotherapists and psychologists give an up-to-date review of the latest findings in the diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia in children and adolescents to give a comprehensive account of the current state of knowledge and the therapeutic options available to clinicians. They examine the disorder from developmental and clinical perspectives, with a focus on diagnosis, etiology, therapy and rehabilitation. This book is essential reading for all mental health professionals who treat young people with schizophrenia.
- 9780511526800 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34834934