Religion in republican Italy / edited for the Department of Classics by Celia E. Schultz and Paul B. Harvey, Jr.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 299 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Harvey, Paul B. and Schultz, Celia E.
- Yale classical studies ; 33
- Reconsidering "religious Romanization" / Fay Glinister -- In search of the Etruscan priestess : a re-examination of the hatrencu / Lesley E. Lundeen -- Etruscan religion at the watershed : before and after the fourth century BCE / Jean MacIntosh Turfa -- Religious locales in the territory of Minturnae : aspects of Romanization / Valentina Livi -- Religion and memory at Pisaurum / Paul B. Harvey, Jr. -- Inventing the sortilegus : lot divination and cultural identity in Italy, Rome, and the provinces / W.E. Klingshirn -- Hot, cold, or smelly : the power of sacred water in Roman religion, 400-100 BCE / Ingrid Edlund- Berry -- Religion and politics : did the Romans scruple about the placement of their temples? / John Muccigrosso -- Juno Sospita and Roman insecurity in the Social War / Celia E. Schultz -- Beyond Rome and Latium : Roman religion in the age of Augustus / A.E. Cooley.
- This book explores how recent findings and research provide a richer understanding of religious activities in Republican Rome and contemporary central Italic societies, including the Etruscans, during the period of the Middle and Late Republic. While much recent research has focused on the Romanization of areas outside Italy in later periods, this volume investigates religious aspects of the Romanization of the Italian peninsula itself. The essays strive to integrate literary evidence with archaeological and epigraphic material as they consider the nexus of religion and politics in early Italy; the impact of Roman institutions and practices on Italic society; the reciprocal impact of non-Roman practices and institutions on Roman custom; and the nature of 'Roman', as opposed to 'Latin', 'Italic', or 'Etruscan', religion in the period in question. The resulting volume illuminates many facets of religious praxis in Republican Italy, while at the same time complicating the categories we use to discuss it.
- 9780511482816 (ebook), 9780521863667 (hardback), and 9780521153171 (paperback)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34835709