Witchcraft and a life in the new South Africa / Isak Niehaus
- Niehaus, Isak A. (Isak Arnold)
- Additional Titles:
- Witchcraft & a Life in the New South Africa
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxi, 239 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- The International African library ; 43
- Introduction -- Early experiences, initial suspicions -- Becoming a man -- 'Then I did not believe' -- 'My second initiation' -- 'I see things differently now' -- Seeking revenge -- AIDS and Oedipus -- (Re)constructing an ideal life -- Last words.
- Witchcraft and a Life in the New South Africa reconstructs the biography of an ordinary South African, Jimmy Mohale. Born in 1964, Jimmy came of age in rural South Africa during apartheid, then studied at university and worked as a teacher during the anti-apartheid struggle. In 2005, Jimmy died from an undiagnosed sickness, probably related to AIDS. Jimmy gradually came to see the unanticipated misfortune he experienced as a result of his father's witchcraft and sought remedies from diviners rather than from biomedical doctors. This study casts new light on scholarly understandings of the connections between South African politics, witchcraft and the AIDS pandemic.
- 9781139060929 (ebook) and 9781107016286 (hardback)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34836225