Introduction to supersymmetry / Peter G.O. Freund
- Freund, Peter G. O. (Peter George Oliver), 1936-2018
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 152 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Just as ordinary symmetries relate various forms of matter to each other, and various basic forces to each other, so the novel concept of supersymmetry relates (Fermi) matter to (Bose) force. It is the aim of this book to provide a brief introductory description of the new physical and mathematical ideas involved in formulating supersymmetric theories. The book starts with a physical motivation of supersymmetry, a presentation of the mathematics of Lie superalgebras, supergroups and superspace. Techniques for constructing manifestly globally supersymmetric field theories are given, using the superfield formalism. To allow for a clear flow of ideas, the basic ideas and techniques are worked out in low space dimensionalities where the formulae do not obscure the concepts. Generalizations to four space-time dimensions are then readily come by. Some quantum aspects are discussed. Possible phenomenological applications are not emphasized. Supergravities, locally supersymmetric theories are then considered in 4 and 11 dimensions, in component formalism. An introduction to supersymmetry will be of interest to postgraduate students and researchers in theoretical and particle physics, especially those working in quantum field theory, quantum gravity, general relativity and supergravity. The book will also be of interest to mathematicians with an interest in theoretical physics.
- 9780511564017 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34836999