Low rank representations and graphs for sporadic groups / Cheryl E. Praeger, Leonard H. Soicher
- Praeger, Cheryl E., 1948-
- Additional Titles:
- Low Rank Representations & Graphs for Sporadic Groups
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 141 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Soicher, Leonard H. (Leonard Hyman)
- This book presents a complete classification of the transitive permutation representations of rank at most five of the sporadic simple groups and their automorphism groups, together with a comprehensive study of the vertex-transitive graphs associated with these representations. Included is a list of all vertex-transitive, distance-regular graphs on which a sporadic almost simple group acts with rank at most five. In this list are some new, interesting distance-regular graphs of diameter two, which are not distance-transitive. For most of the representations a presentation of the sporadic group is given, with words in the given generators which generate a point stabiliser: this gives readers sufficient information to reconstruct and study the representations and graphs. Practical computational techniques appropriate for analysing finite vertex-transitive graphs are described carefully, making the book an excellent starting point for learning about groups and the graphs on which they act.
- 9780511526039 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34837849