Principles of plasma physics for engineers and scientists / Umran Inan and Marek Gołkowski
- Inan, Umran S.
- Additional Titles:
- Principles of Plasma Physics for Engineers & Scientists
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 270 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Gołkowski, Marek
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Introduction; 2. Single particle motion; 3. Kinetic theory of plasmas; 4. Moments of the Boltzmann equation; 5. Multiple fluid theory of plasmas; 6. Single fluid theory of plasmas: magnetohydrodynamics; 7. Collisions and plasma conductivity; 8. Plasma diffusion; 9. Introduction to waves in plasmas; 10. Waves in cold magnetized plasmas; 11. Effects of collisions, ions and finite temperature on waves in magnetized plasmas; 12. Waves in hot plasmas; 13. Plasma sheath and the Langmuir probe; Appendix A. Derivation of second moment of the Boltzmann equation; Appendix B. Useful vector identities.
- This unified introduction provides the tools and techniques needed to analyze plasmas and connects plasma phenomena to other fields of study. Combining mathematical rigor with qualitative explanations, and linking theory to practice with example problems, this is a perfect textbook for senior undergraduate and graduate students taking one-semester introductory plasma physics courses. For the first time, material is presented in the context of unifying principles, illustrated using organizational charts, and structured in a successive progression from single particle motion, to kinetic theory and average values, through to collective phenomena of waves in plasma. This provides students with a stronger understanding of the topics covered, their interconnections, and when different types of plasma models are applicable. Furthermore, mathematical derivations are rigorous, yet concise, so physical understanding is not lost in lengthy mathematical treatments. Worked examples illustrate practical applications of theory and students can test their new knowledge with 90 end-of-chapter problems.
- 9780511761621 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 01 Feb 2016).
View MARC record | catkey: 34841221