Conversation analysis and psychotherapy / edited by Anssi Peräkylä [and three others].
- Additional Titles:
- Conversation Analysis & Psychotherapy
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (ix, 222 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Peräkylä, Anssi
- Psychotherapy is a 'talking cure'- clients voice their troubles to therapists, who listen, prompt, question, interpret and generally try to engage in a positive and rehabilitating conversation with their clients. Using the sophisticated theoretical and methodological apparatus of Conversation Analysis - a radical approach to how language in interaction works - this book sheds light on the subtle and minutely organised sequences of speech in psychotherapeutic sessions. It examines how therapists deliver questions, cope with resistance, reinterpret experiences and how they can use conversation to achieve success. Conversation is a key component of people's everyday and professional lives and this book provides an unusually detailed insight into the complexity and power of talk in institutional settings. Featuring contributions from a collection of internationally renowned authors, Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy will appeal to researchers and graduate students studying conversation analysis across the disciplines of psychology, sociology and linguistics.
- 9780511490002 (ebook), 9780521871907 (hardback), and 9780521179829 (paperback)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34843586