Harmonizing work, family, and personal life : from policy to practice / [edited by] Steven A.Y. Poelmans and Paula Caligiuri
- Additional Titles:
- Harmonizing Work, Family, & Personal Life
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvii, 305 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Poelmans, Steven A. Y., 1968- and Caligiuri, Paula
- Part I. Describing different work-life policies, policy development, and pitfalls -- Strategic human resources and work-life balance / Paula Caligiuri and Nicole Givelekian -- Reviewing policies for harmonizing work, family and personal life / Steven Poelmans and Barbara Beham -- Integrating career development and work-family policy / Tammy Allen -- Work-life balance on global assignments / Paula Caligiuri and Mila Lazarova -- Case study 2005 - work-life, flexibility, and mobility: ensuring global support of flexibility within IBM's on-demand company / Joan Giue and Oana Petrescu -- Part II. Policy design, implementation, and deployment -- Stages in the implementation of work-life policies / Steven A. Y. Poelmans, Shilpa Patel and Barbara Beham -- Policy development across borders: a framework for work-life initiatives in multinational enterprises / Anne Bardoel and Helen DeCieri -- Part III. Cultural change -- Barriers to the implementation and usage of work-life policies / Cynthia Thompson -- How to become a family-responsible firm: proposing a model for cultural change / Steven A. Y. Poelmans and Olena Stepanova / Epilogue: flexibility and diversity in the twenty-first century - the responsibility of human potential managers / Steven A. Y. Poelmans and Aline Masuda.
- Organizations can no longer afford to assume that the ideal employee is male, full-time, and free from responsibilities outside work. As the percentage of women in the active work population rises, and the number of dual-income families grows, there is an ever greater demand for more flexible patterns of employment. Harmonizing Work, Family, and Personal Life examines the organizational challenges of introducing work-life policies and practices from both an individual and a managerial perspective. Drawing on a broad range of international case studies of companies where such policies have both succeeded and failed, it acts as a practical guide for policy design and implementation. Harmonizing Work, Family, and Personal Life will be essential reading for human resource practitioners, advanced students and academic researchers in the field of human resource management, organizational behavior, or career management.
- 9780511488498 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34844580