An introduction to clinical emergency medicine / [edited by] Swaminatha V. Mahadevan, Gus M. Garmel
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xix, 798 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Mahadevan, Swaminatha V. and Garmel, Gus M.
- Principles of emergency medicine. Approach to the emergency patient / Gus M. Garmel. Airway management / S.V. Mahadevan and Shannon Sovndal. Cardiopulmonary and cerebral resuscitation / Robert R. Leschke. Cardiac dysrhythmias / S.V. Gurudevan. Shock / Robert J. Sigillito and Peter M.C. DeBlieux. Traumatic injuries / David E. Manthey. Prehospital care and emergency medical services / Paul D. Biddinger and Stephen H. Thomas. Pain management / Eustacia (Jo) Su -- Primary complaints. Abdominal pain / S.V. Mahadevan. Abnormal behavior / Tim Meyers and Gus M. Garmel. Allergic reactions and anaphylactic syndromes / Steven Go. Altered mental status / Barry Simon and Flavia Nobay. Chest pain / Jeffrey A. Tabas and Susan B. Promes. Constipation / Victoria Brazil. Crying and irritability / Lee W. Shockley. Diabetes-related emergencies / Christopher R.H. Newton. Diarrhea / Rawle A. Seupaul. Dizziness and vertigo / Andrew K. Chang. Ear pain, nosebleed, and throat pain. Extremity trauma / Dan Garza and Gregory W. Hendy. Eye pain, redness and visual loss / Janet G. Alteveer. Fever in adults / Tamas R. Peredy and Gus M. Garmel. Fever in children / Lynne McCullough and Eric Savitsky. Gastrointestinal bleeding / J. Scott Taylor. Headache / Gino A. Farina and Kumar Alagappan. Hypertensive urgencies and emergencies / Loretta Jackson-Williams and Robert Galli. Joint pain / Douglas W. Lowery and Melissa J. Lamberson. Low back pain / Mel Herbert and Mary Lanctot-Herbert. Pelvic pain / Peter G. Kumasaka. Rash / Jamie Collings and Brigham Temple. Scrotal pain / Jonathan E. Davis. Seizures / Stephen R. Hayden. Shortness of breath in adults / Sharon E. Mace. Shortness of breath in children / Lance Brown and Steven M. Green. Syncope / Amal Mattu. Toxicologic emergencies / Steven A. McLaughlin. Urinary-related complaints / Fred A. Severyn. Vaginal bleeding / Pamela L. Dyne and Rita Oregon. Vomiting / Jennifer A. Oman. Weakness / R. Jason Thurman and Kristy Self Reynolds -- Unique issues in emergency medicine. Child abuse, elder abuse, intimate partner violence / Carolyn J. Sachs. Environmental emergencies. Ethics and end-of-life issues / Michael A. Gisondi. Legal aspects of emergency care / Gregory Guldner and Amy Leinen. Occupational exposures in the emergency department / Stephen J. Playe and Cemel M. Erdem -- Appenices. Common emergency procedures / George Sternbach. Wound preparation / Michelle Lin. Laceration repair / F.C. von Trampe and Wendy C. Coates. Procedural sedation and analgesia / Eustacia (Jo) Su and Robert L. Cloutier. Focused assessment with sonography in trauma / Rita A. Sweeney and Diku Mandavia. Interpretation of emergency laboratories / J. Michael Ballester.
- Now with updated ACLS algorithms An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine is a much-needed resource for individuals practicing in this challenging field. It takes a novel approach, describing in detail the best and most current methods including initial patient evaluation, generation of differential diagnoses, problem-solving and management of challenging conditions based on presenting symptoms. Unlike other textbooks, in which the diagnosis is known, this textbook approaches clinical problems as clinicians approach patients - without full knowledge of the final diagnosis. It provides an understanding of how to approach patients with undifferentiated conditions, ask the right questions, gather historical data, utilize physical examination skills and order and interpret laboratory and radiographic tests. It provides current management and disposition strategies with controversies presented, including pearls and summary points for each topic covered. The book is multi-author, each contributor chosen because of a track record in teaching as well as being internationally recognised experts in the specialty.
- 9780511544811 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34844581