Seeds of disaster, roots of response : how private action can reduce public vulnerability / edited by Philip E. Auerswald [and others].
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxii, 554 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Auerswald, Philip E.
- Where private efficiency meets public vulnerability : the critical infrastructure challenge / Philip E. Auerswald [and others] -- A nation forewarned : vulnerability of critical infrastructure in the twenty-first century / Lewis M. Branscomb -- The brittle superpower / Stephen E. Flynn -- Critical infrastructure protection in the United States since 1993 / Brian Lopez -- Evolution of vulnerability assessment methods / Brian Lopez -- Managing for the unexpected : reliability and organizational resilience / Todd M. La Porte -- Notes toward a theory of the management of vulnerability / Robert A. Frosch -- Challenges of assuring high reliability when facing suicidal terrorism / Todd R. La Porte -- Managing for reliability in an age of terrorism / Paul R. Schulman and Emery Roe -- Organizational strategies for complex system resilience, reliability, and adaptation / Todd M. La Porte -- Complexity and interdependence : the unmanaged challenge / Philip E. Auerswald -- Managing reliability in electric power companies / Jack Feinstein -- Coordinated and uncoordinated crisis responses by the electric industry / Michael Kormos and Thomas Bowe -- Electricity : protecting essential services / Jay Apt, M. Granger Morgan, and Lester B. Lave -- A cyber threat to national security? / Sean P. Gorman -- Interdependent security in interconnected networks / Geoffrey Heal [and others] -- Insurance, the 14th critical sector / Erwann O. Michel-Kerjan -- National security and private-sector risk management for terrorism / Lloyd Dixon and Robert Reville -- Terrorism, insurance, and preparedness : connecting the dots / James W. Macdonald -- Looking beyond TRIA : a clinical examination of potential terrorism loss sharing / Howard Kunreuther and Erwann O. Michel-Kerjan -- Financing catastrophe risk with public and private (re)insurance resources / Franklin W. Nutter -- Private-public collaboration on a national and international scale / Lewis M. Branscomb and Erwann O. Michel-Kerjan -- Information sharing with the private sector : history, challenges, innovation, and prospects / Daniel B. Prieto, III -- Sharing the watch : public-private collaboration for infrastructure security / John D. Donahue and Richard J. Zeckhauser -- The paris initiative, "anthrax and beyond" : transnational collaboration among interdependent critical networks / Patrick Lagadec and Erwann O. Michel-Kerjan -- Leadership : who will act? Integrating public and private interests to make a safer world / Philip E. Auerswald [and others].
- In the wake of 9/11 and hurricane Katrina, executives and policymakers are increasingly motivated to reduce the vulnerability of social and economic systems to disasters. Most prior work on 'critical infrastructure protection' has focused on the responsibilities and actions of government rather than on those of the private sector firms that provide most vital services. Seeds of Disaster, Roots of Response is the first systematic attempt to understand how private decisions and operations affect public vulnerability. It describes effective and sustainable approaches - both business strategies and public policies - to ensure provision of critical services in the event of disaster. The authors are business leaders from multiple industries and are experts in risk analysis, economics, engineering, organization theory and public policy. The book shows the necessity of deeply rooted collaboration between private and public institutions, and the accountability and leadership required to progress from words to action.
- 9780511509735 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34844730