Reconsidering law and policy debates : a public health perspective / edited by John G. Culhane
- Additional Titles:
- Reconsidering Law & Policy Debates
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (vii, 261 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Culhane, John G.
- Beyond privacy : a population approach to reproductive rights / Wendy E. Parmet -- Stretching the boundaries of public health : should we consider end-of-life care a public health issue? / Diane E. Hoffmann -- Dying while Black in America : Maslow's hierarchy of need and racial policy making / Vernellia R. Randall -- Public health and marriage (equality) / John G. Culhane -- Using public health to reform the legal and justice response to domestic violence / Evan Stark -- Law and policy approaches to keeping guns from high-risk people / John S. Vernick, Daniel W. Webster, and Katherine A. Vittes -- Tort litigation for the public's health / Elizabeth Weeks Leonard -- Punitive damages and the public health agenda / Jean Macchiaroli Eggen.
- This book approaches a variety of social and political issues that have become highly polarized and resistant to compromise by examining them through a population-based public health perspective. The topics included are some of the most contentious: abortion and reproductive rights; end-of-life issues, including the right to die and the treatment of pain; the connection between racism and poor health outcomes for African-Americans; the right of same-sex couples to marry; the toll of gun violence and how to reduce it; domestic violence and how the criminal justice model fails to deal with it effectively; and how tort compensation and punitive damages can further public health goals. People at every point along the political spectrum will find the book enlightening and informative. Written by eight authors, all of whom have cross-disciplinary expertise, this book shifts the focus away from the point of view of rights, politics, or morality and examines the effect of laws and policies from the perspective of public health and welfare.
- 9780511761881 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34844921