Sectoral systems of innovation : concepts, issues and analyses of six major sectors in Europe / edited by Franco Malerba
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 519 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Malerba, Franco, 1950-
- Introduction / Franco Malerba -- Sectoral systems of innovation : basic concepts / Franco Malerba -- Sectoral dynamics and structural change : stylized facts and "system of innovation" approaches / Fabio Montobbio -- Pharmaceuticals analysed through the lens of a sectoral innovation system / Maureen McKelvey, Luigi Orsenigo and Fabio Pammolli -- The chemical sectoral system : firms, markets, institutions and the process of knowledge creation and diffusion / Fabrizio Cesaroni [and others] -- The fixed internet and mobile telecommunications sectoral system of innovation : equipment production, access provision and content provision / Charles Edquist -- The European software sectoral system of innovation / W. Edward Steinmueller -- Machine tools : the remaking of a traditional sectoral innovation system / Jürgen Wengel and Philip Shapira -- Services and systems of innovation / Bruce S. Tether and J. Stan Metcalfe -- National institutional frameworks, institutional complementarities and sectoral systems of innovation / Benjamin Corait and Olivier Weinstein -- Sectoral systems of innovation and varieties of capitalism : explaining the development of high-technology entrepreneurship in Europe / Steven Casper and David Soskice -- The international performance of European sectoral systems / Benjamin Coriat, Franco Malerba and Fabio Montobbio -- Sectoral systems : implications for European innovation policy / Charles Edquist [and others] -- Summing up and conclusions / Franco Malerba.
- Innovation and technological change show different rates, types and trajectories depending on the sector in which they take place. Agents and institutions of a sector all exert a major influence on innovation. With contributions from nineteen experts in their field, this book proposes the framework of the 'sectoral systems of innovation' to analyse the innovation process, the factors affecting innovation, the relationship between innovation and industry dynamics, the changing boundaries and transformation of sectors, and the determinants of the international performance of firms and countries in different sectors. Innovation in a sector is considered to be affected by three groups of variables: knowledge and technologies; actors and networks; and institutions. In addition to the general framework, this book examines innovation in six major sectors in Europe including pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, telecommunications equipment and services, chemicals, software, machine tools and services.
- 9780511493270 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34845153