Words and the Word : language, poetics, and biblical interpretation / Stephen Prickett
- Prickett, Stephen
- Additional Titles:
- Words & <I>The Word</I>
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xii, 305 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Ways of reading the Bible -- 'The peculiar language of heaven ... ' -- Poetry and prophecy -- The paradoxes of disconfirmation -- Metaphor and reality.
- First published in 1986, Stephen Prickett's Words and the 'Word' has had a major impact among scholars of literature and literary theory as well as among theologians and biblical critics. In this highly-acclaimed book Prickett pursues the question of the relationship between religion and poetics, and in particular the nature of religious language, investigating the hermeneutic, epistemological and linguistic reverberations of eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth-century theories of biblical interpretation.
- 9780511597473 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 29 Feb 2016).
View MARC record | catkey: 34846093