Evangelicals and politics in Asia, Africa, and Latin America / Paul Freston
- Freston, Paul
- Additional Titles:
- Evangelicals & Politics in Asia, Africa & Latin America
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiii, 344 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- pt. 1: Brazil. Brazil -- pt. 2: Asia. Korea ; Philippines ; Malaysia ; Indonesia ; India ; Myanmar (Burma) ; China -- pt. 3: Africa. Sudan ; Angola ; Mozambique ; Zimbabwe ; Malawi ; Rwanda ; Uganda ; Ghana ; Kenya ; Zambia ; South Africa ; Nigeria -- pt. 4: Spanish-speaking Latin America. Argentina ; Mexico ; Chile ; Colombia ; Peru ; Nicaragua ; Guatemala.
- The global expansion of evangelical Christianity is one of the most important religious developments in recent decades, but its political dimension is little studied by the comparative literature on religion and world politics. Paul Freston's book is a pioneering comparative study of the political aspects of the new mass evangelical Protestantism of sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and parts of Asia. The book examines twenty-seven countries from the three major continents of the Third World, burrowing deep into the specificities of each country's religious and political fields, but keeping in view the need for cross-continental comparisons. The conclusion looks at the implications of evangelical politics for democracy, nationalism and globalisation. This unique account of the politics of global evangelicalism will be of interest across disciplines and in many different parts of the world.
- 9780511487705 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34847200