The sexual world of the Arabian Nights / David Ghanim
- Ghanim, David
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 187 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Alluring sexuality; 2. Inexorable sexuality; 3. Insatiable lust; 4. Demonic sexuality; 5. Rape and incest; 6. Promiscuous life; 7. Transgressive adultery; 8. Sexual perfidy; 9. Tales of cuckoldry; 10. Lesbian encounter; 11. Tempting pederasty; 12. Hedonistic narrative.
- From the stories of wives and their lovers to those of kings and their conquests, to the overarching story of Shahrazad and Shahryar, the tales of the Arabian Nights have offered countless audiences entertainment and enjoyment as well as serving as cautionary stories. An outstanding piece of world literature, the Arabian Nights provide a lively and interesting way of exploring aspects of sexuality, romance, gender, culture, wealth, and politics. Looking at a wide range of the tales, David Ghanim offers a rigorous exploration of their profound sexuality: looking at both the context in which they were written and organised, as well as their legacy. By including accounts of heterosexuality, homosexuality, cuckoldry, insatiable lust, promiscuity, rape, incest, bestiality, demonic sexuality, and erotica, Ghanim highlights the complexity and dynamism of medieval sexuality, the active role of women in sexual activities, and the prevailing positive outlook on sexual liaison and gender mixing.
- 9781108675277 (ebook), 9781108425360 (hardback), and 9781108442251 (paperback)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 24 Apr 2018).
View MARC record | catkey: 34851317