Sext up kids : how children are becoming hypersexualized / A Dreamstreet Pictures Production in associaton with the CBC ; director, Maureen Palmer ; producers, Rick LeGuerrier and Timothy M. Hogan
- Additional Titles:
- Sexed up kids and How children are becoming hypersexualized
- [San Francisco, California, USA] : Kanopy Streaming, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 video file, 43 min.)
- Additional Creators:
- Gautreau, Jac, Hogan, Timothy M., LeGuerrier, Rick, MacDonald, Ann-Marie, 1958-, Palmer, Maureen, and Kanopy (Firm)
- The powder keg that is porn culture has exploded in the lives of North American children. From thongs and padded bras for 9-year-old girls to "sexting," 24-7 internet porn, and unfiltered social media, kids today are bombarded with commercial sexual appeals like never before. In this astonishing new documentary, award-winning documentary filmmaker Maureen Palmer (Leaving Bountiful, How to Divorce and Not Wreck the Kids) explores what this radical transformation of the culture means for young people, parents, and our very notions of childhood. Palmer interviews researchers who have been tracking how the accelerating pressure to be sexy -- and sexual -- is changing kids' behavior and undermining their health. She sits down with parents and educators struggling to help kids navigate puberty in a hypermediated cultural environment that no longer seems to recognize or respect the developmental needs of children. And she talks to teens and pre-teens who share eerily casual insights into the routine role sex plays in their lives. The result is a stunning exploration of the sexualization of childhood and a startling wake-up call for parents who still think their own children are immune to the excesses and influences of today's sexed-up youth culture.
- Sound Characteristics:
- Digital File Characteristics:
- MPEG-4 Flash
- Audience Notes:
- Grade 9+
- Part Of:
- Media Education Foundation Collection
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, John Collins ; editor, Marcel Gallant ; music composer, Jac Gautreau
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Narrator, Ann-Marie MacDonald.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Originally produced by Media Education Foundation in 2012.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 34855744