Language Literacy and Science [electronic resource] : Enhancing Engagement and Achievement in Science / by Azra Moeed, Brendan Cooney
- Moeed, Azra
- Singapore : Springer Singapore : Imprint: Springer, 2021.
- 1st ed. 2021.
- Physical Description:
- XIII, 71 p. 8 illus. online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Cooney, Brendan and SpringerLink (Online service)
- SpringerBriefs in Education, 2211-1921
- 1 Introduction -- 2 Theoretical frame, research design, and methodology -- 3 Year 9 case study, sparklers for developing science literacy -- 4 Year 12 case study, concept mapping and communicating science ideas -- 5 Teaching as inquiry -- 6 Discussion -- 7 Conclusions and implications for future research and practice.
- This book presents the findings of two case studies in the 'Making Connections' two-year project funded by the New Zealand Ministry of Education. It shows how science literacy was improved in a state coeducational school with Pacific Island students from diverse linguistic backgrounds. This book details ideas and strategies relevant to schools where English literacy has an impact on the science engagement and achievement of ethnically diverse student populations. It also presents the teaching as inquiry model and its usage by teachers to improve aspects of their teaching strategies.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 34861321