European miniatures in the Metropolitan Museum of Art / Graham Reynolds with the assistance of Katharine Baetjer
- Corporate Author:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- New York : The Metropolitan Museum of Art,  and New York : Distributed by H.N. Abrams
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 207 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Reynolds, Graham, Baetjer, Katharine, and Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- "This publication is a catalogue of the Metropolitan Museum's permanent collection of more than three hundred European miniatures. In origin these works fall into three categories - British, French, and Continental - and date from the early sixteenth century to about 1850. The collection includes one of two known portrait miniatures by Jean Clouet, who is credited with originating this genre, and three of no more than twenty recognized portrait miniatures by Hans Holbein the Younger, the first great master of this art. Most of the important figures in this field - Hilliard, Hoskins, Cooper, Hall, Fuger, Zincke, Cosway, and Isabey - are represented, as are several painters who worked primarily in larger formats - Fragonard, the Van Blarenberghes, and Rosalba Carriera, for example. The majority of the miniatures are hitherto unpublished."--BOOK JACKET.
- 0870998080(hardcover : alk. paper), 0870998099 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 0810965038 (Abrams)
- "...issued in conjunction with the exhibition ... held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, from Nov. 5, 1996 to Jan. 5, 1997" -- T.p. verso. and Exhibition title: European miniatures in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Also available as electronic reproduction. Plymouth Meeting, Pa. : codeMantra ; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2012.
View MARC record | catkey: 34867396