The path of nature : French paintings from the Wheelock Whitney collection 1785-1850 / Asher Ethan Miller
- Miller, Asher Ethan
- New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 48 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- "In 2003 the Metropolitan Museum acquired a collection of more than fifty paintings that represent a key period in European history, beginning in the 1780s with the advent of the French Revolution and concluding soon after the abdication in 1848 of France's last king, Louis-Philippe. Assembled by the New York connoisseur Wheelock Whitney between 1972 and 2000, this remarkable collection underscores the role of the natural world as a source of inspiration for European artists living on the cusp of the modern epoch, and it provides ample evidence of a rich tradition of painting out of doors, en plein air, nearly a century before Impressionism."--The Metropolitan Museum of Art web site.
- Catalog of the exhibition held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Jan. 22-Apr. 21, 2013.
"Metropolitan Museum of Art, winter 2013, volume LXX, number 3"
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 48).
View MARC record | catkey: 34869216