Baseball without borders : the international pastime / edited by George Gmelch
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 326 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Gmelch, George
- I: Asia -- Japan: changing of the guard in high school baseball / Dan Gordon -- Japan: the Hanshin Tigers and Japanese Professional Baseball / William W. Kelly -- China: silk gowns and gold gloves / Joseph A. Reaves -- Taiwan: baseball, colonialism, and nationalism / Andrew Morris -- Korea: straw sandals and strong arms / Joseph A. Reaves -- II: The Americas -- Dominican Republic: forging an international industry / Alan Klein -- Cuba: behind the curtain / Tim Wendel -- Cuba: community, fans, and ballplayers / Thomas Carter -- Puerto Rico: a major league steppingstone / Thomas E. Van Hyning and Franklin Otto -- Nicaragua: in search of diamonds / Dan Gordon -- Brazil: baseball is popular, and the players are Japanese! / Carlos Azzoni, Tales Azzoni, and Wayne Patterson -- Canada: internationalizing America's national pastime / Colin Howell -- III: Europe -- Italy: no hotdogs in the bleachers / Peter Carino -- Holland: an American coaching honkbal / Harvey Shapiro -- Great Britain: baseball's battle for respect in the land of cricket, rugby, and soccer / Josh Chetwynd -- IV: The Pacific -- Australia: baseball down under / Joseph Clark -- Afterword: is baseball really global? / George Gmelch.
- 0803271255 (pbk. : alk. paper) and 9780803271258 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "A Bison original"--P.  of cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3501377