Making a play for God : the sacre rappresentazioni of Renaissance Florence / Nerida Newbigin
- Newbigin, Nerida
- Toronto, Ontario : Centre for Renaissance and Reformation Studies, 2021.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes (1,039 pages) : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Centre for Renaissance and Reformation Studies
- Language Note:
- Text in English; some text in Italian.
- Volume 1. The Manuscript Evidence of Florentine Sacre Rappresentazioni -- Plays in Churches -- Youth Confraternities and Their Plays -- Edifici for the Feast of St. John the Baptist -- Playing Outdoors -- Antonia Pulci, Antonio Miscomini, and the Transition to Print -- Volume 2. Defying Anonymity: Belcari, Poliziano, Bellincioni, and Lorenzo de' Medici -- Bartolomeo de' Libri, Antonio Miscomini, and the Illustrated Editions -- Savonarola and Beyond: Castellano Castellani -- The Afterlife of the Plays.
- "Playful pleasure or devout piety? Why did Florentines invest so much effort in the performance of "sacre rappresentazioni", their dramatizations of the life of Christ and the saints, the history of Man's Salvation from the Creation to the Last Judgement, Old and New Testament stories, and miracles of the Virgin? Drawing on manuscript and printed plays, confraternal and communal archives, chronicles and letters, this study explores in fine detail and with careful attention to chronology the performance groups and their motives, and the financing, staging, and reception of their plays. Woven into this exploration is an account of the transmission of the plays first in manuscript and later in print, with woodcuts that have guaranteed their survival to the present day."--
- To 1700
- Italian drama—Italy—Florence—History and criticism
- Italian drama—To 1700—History and criticism
- Religious drama, Italian—History and criticism
- Mysteries and miracle-plays, Italian—History and criticism
- Théâtre italien—Italie—Florence—Histoire et critique
- Théâtre italien—Jusqu'à 1700—Histoire et critique
- Théâtre religieux italien—Histoire et critique
- Mystères et miracles italiens—Histoire et critique
- Italian drama
- Mysteries and miracle-plays, Italian
- Religious drama, Italian
- 9780772725011 (v. 1 ; softcover)
0772725012 (v. 1 ; softcover)
9780772725073 (v. 2 ; softcover)
0772725071 (v. 2 ; softcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 889-982) and indexes.
- Other Forms:
- Issued also in electronic format.
- Endowment Note:
- Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and International Affairs
View MARC record | catkey: 35155609