There is no such thing as a natural disaster : race, class, and Hurricane Katrina / edited by Chester Hartman and Gregory D. Squires
- Pre-Katrina, post-Katrina / Chester Hartman and Gregory D. Squires -- A matter of choice: historical lessons for disaster recovery / Michael P. Powers -- Oral history, folklore, and Katrina / Alan H. Stein and Gene B. Preuss -- Towards a transformative view of race: the crisis and opportunity of Katrina / John A. Powell ... [et al.] -- Abandoned before the storms: the glaring disaster of gender, race, and class disparities in the Gulf / Avis W. Jones-DeWeever and Heidi Hartmann -- Katrina and the politics of later life / Margaret Morganroth Gullette -- Where is home? Housing for low-income people after the 2005 hurricanes / Sheila Crowley -- Reclaiming New Orleans' working-class communities / Robert O. Zdenek ... [et al.] -- A new kind of medical disaster in the United States / Evangeline (Vangy) Franklin -- Double jeopardy: public education in New Orleans before and after the storm / Michael Casserly -- An old economy for the "new" New Orleans? Post-Hurricane Katrina economic development efforts / Robert K. Whelan -- From poverty to prosperity: the critical role of financial institutions / John Taylor and Josh Silver -- The role of local organizing: house-to-house with boots on the ground / Wade Rathke and Beulah Laboistrie -- Rebuilding a tortured past or creating a model future: the limits and potentials of planning / Peter Marcuse.
- Hurricane Katrina, 2005—Social aspects
- Hurricane Rita, 2005—Social aspects
- Disaster relief—Social aspects—Louisiana—New Orleans
- Disaster relief—Social aspects—Gulf States
- Marginality, Social—Louisiana—New Orleans
- Marginality, Social—Gulf States
- People with social disabilities—Government policy—Louisiana—New Orleans
- People with social disabilities—Government policy—Gulf States
- Human services—Louisiana—New Orleans
- Human services—Gulf States
- 041595486X (hb)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3529025