The logic of filtering [electronic resource] : how noise shapes the sound of recorded music / Melle Jan Kromhout
- Kromhout, Melle Jan
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2021.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 167 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction. The Noise of Sound Media -- The Myth of Perfect Fidelity -- The Logic of Noise Reduction -- Ideal and Technical Filters -- Time and Transience -- The Logic of Filtering -- Conclusion. The 'Other Music'
- "This book traces the profound impact of technical media on the sound of music, asking: how do media technologies shape sound? How does this affect music? And how did it change what we listen for in music? Based on the information theoretical proposition that all transmission channels introduce noise and distortion, the argument accounts for the fact that technologically reproduced music is inherently shaped by the technologies that enable its reproduction. The media archaeological assessment of this noise of sound media developed in the book draws from a wide range of sources, both theoretical and historical, conceptual and technical. Together, they show that noise should not be understood as unwanted by-effect but instead plays a foundational role in shaping the sonic contours of technologically reproduced music. Over the course of five chapters, the book sketches a broad history of the problem of noise in sound recording, looks at specific analog and digital noise-related technologies, traces the ideal of sonic purity back to key developments in nineteenth century acoustics, and develops an analysis of the close interrelation between noise and the temporality of sound. This relation, it argues, is central to the way in which recorded sound and music resonate with listeners. Ultimately, this media specific analysis of the noise of sound media thereby greatly enriches our understanding of the way in which they changed and continue to change the sonorous qualities of music, thus offering a new perspective on the interaction between music, media and listeners"--
- 9780190070137 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 35512034