Designing the megaregion [electronic resource] : meeting urban challenges at a new scale / Jonathan Barnett
- Barnett, Jonathan
- Washington, DC : Island Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xi, 170 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- 1. A New Scale for Urban Challenges -- 2. Recognizing Ecoregions as the Context for Development -- 3. Relating Development to the Natural Environment -- 4. The Northeast Megaregion: Prototype for Balanced Transportation -- 5. Progress Toward Fast-Enough Trains in Megaregions -- 6. Achieving Balanced Transportation in Megaregions -- 7. Inequities Built into Megaregions -- 8. Reducing Inequality in Megaregions -- 9. Adapting Governmental Structures to Manage Megaregions -- 10. Rewriting Local Regulations to Promote Sustainability and Equity.
- In this book, planning and urban design expert Jonathan Barnett describes how to redesign megaregional growth using mostly private investment, without having to wait for massive government funding or new governmental structures. Barnett explains practical initiatives to make new development fit into its environmental setting, especially important as the climate changes; reorganize transportation systems to pull together all the components of these large urban regions; and redirect the market forces which are making megaregions very unequal places.
- 1642830437 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 155-161) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 35857193