Rude Awakenings [electronic resource] : An American Historian's Encounters with Nazism, Communism and McCarthyism / Carol Sicherman
- Sicherman, Carol
- Washington, DC : New Academia Publishing, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 381 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- 1. Prologue -- 2. Harry's home, Harry's Harvard -- 3. The young scholar in a new (old) world -- 4. Germany 1933 -- 5. The dispersal of the Berlin friends -- 6. Harry and the communists -- 7. The knock on the door: Harry before HUAC -- 8. Harry as academic -- Timeline of events in Germany.
- Drawing on family papers, wide-ranging interviews, FBI files, American and German newspapers, a wide array of published sources, and her own memories, the author traces Harry Marks's German American heritage, his education both formal and informal, his marriage to a fellow Communist from a poor Russian family, his rocky start as an academic, his anguish when confronted by his Communist past, and his ultimate creation of a satisfying career.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 347-364) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 35868886