An American planter : Stephen Duncan of antebellum Natchez and New York / Martha Jane Brazy
- Brazy, Martha Jane, 1965-
- Baton Rouge : Louisiana State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 232 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm.
- Prologue : "an important crisis is at hand" -- "To seek his fortunes in the distant South" : Stephen Duncan's migration from Pennsylvania to the Mississippi territory -- Laying the foundations of mastery : land, slaves, capital, and the network of elites -- Slaves, politics, and family : Stephen Duncan and the challenges to mastery -- "We will one day have our throats cut in this county" : Stephen Duncan and the challenges of slavery -- Power and position : redefining economic self in boom and bust times -- Public duties and private worlds : the roles and dynamics of the Duncan family -- Survival of the fittest : preservation of wealth and family -- An empire realized : the concentration of wealth and the negotiation of shifting networks -- Underground networks : slave communities and slavery on the Duncan plantations -- Epilogue : "we are in the midst of perils".
- 0807131415 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780807131411 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 205-221) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3589053