"Girl cases" : marriage and colonialism in Gusiiland, Kenya, 1890-1970 / Brett L. Shadle
- Shadle, Brett Lindsay
- Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xliii, 256 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Social history of Africa, 1099-8098
- Introduction -- Gusii society and politics and the coming of colonialism -- Colonialism and African society to circa 1940 -- The political economy of bridewealth, 1930s-1960s -- The course of marriage disputes -- "Girl cases" in the courts -- The state, African society, and the limits of the Ritongo -- The demise of marriage disputes -- Conclusion.
- Gusii (African people)—Marriage customs and rites
- Gusii (African people)—Social life and customs
- Women, Gusii—Social conditions
- Women, Gusii—Legal status, laws, etc
- Bride price—Kenya
- Marriage law—Kenya
- Kenya—Politics and government
- Great Britain—Colonies—Africa—Administration
- 0325070946 (pbk : alk. paper)
9780325070940 (pbk : alk. paper)
032507092X (alk. paper)
9780325070926 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -250) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3592426