A narrative community : voices of Israeli backpackers / Chaim Noy
- Noy, Chaim, 1968-
- Detroit : Wayne State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 238 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Raphael Patai series in Jewish folklore and anthropology
- Performing backpacking narratives. Arriving at the destination : no transcendence ; Persuasion. Intermezzo 1: from persuasion (in)to quotation -- Quotations and voices. Quotations ; Performing the chorus and the (occasional) emergence of individual voices ; Performing others' voices : quoting native and tourist. A visit to the television station (September 22, 2003) ; The collective-canonic voice : quoting the norm (of quoting). Eih omrim "eih omrim"? Aunt Malka'le and the search for collective authority ; From oral authority to written canon : quoting travelers' books and trail stories. Thorong La Pass : at 5,416 meters ; From speech community to vocal identity : the sound of quotations. Intermezzo 2: From quotation to self-transformation -- Conclusions. Self-transformation. "Garçon, get me someone who speaks Tibetan!"
- 0814331769 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9780814331767 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 215-229) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 3592633