Diagnosing human capital as a binding constraint to growth : tests, symptoms and prescriptions / Miguel Angel Santos, Farah Hani
- Santos, Miguel Angel (Government economist)
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2021.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (62 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Hani, Farah
- The empirical literature on the contributions of human capital investments to economic growth shows mixed results. While evidence from OECD countries demonstrates that human capital accumulation is associated with growth accelerations, the substantial efforts of developing countries to improve access to and quality of education, as a means for skill accumulation, did not translate into higher income per capita. In this Element, we propose a framework, building on the principles of 'growth diagnostics', to enable practitioners to determine whether human capital investments are a priority for a country's growth strategy. We then discuss and exemplify different tests to diagnose human capital in a place, drawing on the Harvard Growth Lab's experience in different development context, and discuss various policy options to address skill shortages.
- 9781108975223 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 25 Nov 2021).
View MARC record | catkey: 36152964