Frozen in time : permafrost and engineering problems / by Siemon Wm. Muller ; edited by Hugh M. French, Frederick E. Nelson ; sponsored by Technical Committee on Cold Regions Engineering
- Muller, Siemon W. (Siemon William), 1900-1970
- Reston, Va. : American Society of Civil Engineers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxxix, 280 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- French, Hugh M., Nelson, Frederick E., and American Society of Civil Engineers. Technical Committee on Cold Regions Engineering
- pt. 1. Introduction -- Definition of Permafrost -- History of Investigation -- Terminology -- pt. 2. Permafrost Science -- Origin of Permafrost -- Geography of Permafrost -- Vertical Extent and Temperature of Permafrost -- Ground Ice -- Permafrost Landscapes -- Vegetation -- Physical Properties of Frozen Ground -- pt. 3. Permafrost And Engineering Problems -- Logistics -- Investigation of Permafrost for Engineering Problems -- Excavation of Frozen Ground -- Drilling Methods in Frozen Ground -- Roads and Railroads -- Runways -- Bridges -- Dams and Reservoirs -- Mining -- Buildings -- Water Supply -- Utilities and Sanitation -- Materials -- Miscellaneous Engineering Problems -- App. 1. Select Bibliography.
- "Frozen in Time: Permafrost and Engineering Problems is a previously unpublished work by Siemon W. Muller (1900-1970), author of the first English-language book about perennially frozen ground."
"This book reads like a "how-to" manual for engineering personnel working in pioneering or primitive circumstances. The book reviews the large Russian-language body of literature devoted to permafrost, but also covers work published in English during the intervening years. It addresses topics such as basic scientific knowledge about perennially frozen ground and the engineering problems associated with it, the geography of permafrost, related elements of landscape science and ecology, periglacial geomorphology, and the physics of frozen ground. This book serves as a valuable historical document, and will also be useful for those seeking basic knowledge about permafrost and approximate methods for coping with associated engineering problems."--Jacket.
- 9780784472446 (electronic bk.)
0784472440 (electronic bk.)
9781621980490 (electronic bk.)
1621980499 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 36191520