Modern American coal mining : methods and applications / edited by Christopher J. Bise
- Englewood, Colorado : Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Bise, Christopher J.
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Contents; Preface; 1. Coal Industry Statistics; Introduction; CoalClassification; U.S. CoalResources; U.S. CoalDistribution; Trends in U.S. CoalMining; InternationalStandardization; 2. Depositional Characteristics of CoalBeds; Introduction; Origin of theEarth; EarthModification; Rock Disturbance and MountainFormation; Historical Geology; Origin of Coal; Topographic Conditions Favorable to CoalFormation; Structural Features of CoalBeds; Mine Development GeologicConsiderations; Mining Variables; Summary; 3. GroundControl; Introduction; UndergroundStresses., PillarDesignEntry SpanDesign; Roof BoltDesign; Subsidence; 4. Coal MineVentilation; Introduction; Major Contaminants in MineAtmosphere; Determination of VentilationRequirements; Air Movements in Airways andDucts; Ventilation NetworkAnalysis; Air-Moving Equipment and NaturalVentilation; U.S. Coal Mine VentilationSystems; Control of Mine Fires andExplosions; 5. Mine ElectricalPower; Introduction; Overview of Mine PowerSystems; FederalRegulations; Circuit AnalysisReview; ElectricPower; Three-PhaseSystems; MineCables; Introduction to Load FlowAnalysis; Substations; Switchhouses; PowerCenters., GroundingElectric PowerCosts; Summary; 6. MineHaulage; Introduction; Face Haulage; Intermediate and MainlineHaulage; Summary; 7. CoalPreparation; Introduction; Characterization; SizeControl; Separation; Dewatering; PerformanceEvaluation; Summary; 8. Underground Mine Development and Room-and-PillarMining; Introduction; Modern ContinuousMining; Room-and-Pillar MineOrganization; Preplanning; CostAnalysis; Mine Portal Selection andDesign; DesignLogic; PanelLayouts; CutSequences; Room-and-Pillar ProductionAnalysis; PillarRecovery; 9. LongwallMining; Introduction; Longwall MiningMethods., Basic Components of a LongwallSystem10. SurfaceMining; Introduction; Drilling andBlasting; Digging andLoading; Draglines; Haulage; Crushing; AuxiliaryEquipment; 11. Reclamation of Surface-MinedLands; Introduction; History of U.S. Coal Mining and LandReclamation; Environmental Protection Laws andRegulations; Reclamation Practices for Modern Surface CoalMines; SustainableMining; 12. CaseStudies; Case Study 1: ShoemakerMine; Case Study 2: Federal No. 2Mine; Case Study 3: Red HillsMine; Case Study 4: BaileyMine; Case Study 5: HarmonyMine; Case Study 6: CenturyMine; Case Study 7: McElroyMine., and Case Study 8: TrapperMineCase Study 9: TwentymileMine; Case Study 10: West ElkMine; Case Study 11: Jesse CreekMining; Glossary; Index; Back Cover.
- This book is the single best source for information on today's coal mining industry.
- 9780873353953 (electronic bk.)
0873353951 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 36193527