Suspicion : vaccines, hesitancy, and the affective politics of protection in Barbados / Nicole Charles
- Charles, Nicole, 1989-
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2021.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 196 pages) : illustrations
- Suspicion: An Introduction -- Circles of Suspicion -- Risk and Suspicion: An Archive of Surveillance and Racialized Biopolitics in Barbados -- (Hyper)Sexuality, Respectability, and the Language of Suspicion -- Care, Embodiment, and Sensed Protection -- Suspicion and Certainty -- Toward Radical Care.
- "Nicole Charles frames the refusal of Afro-Barbadians to immunize their daughters with the HPV vaccine as suspicion, showing that this suspicion is based in concrete histories of government mistrust and coercive medical practices on colonized peoples."--
- Papillomavirus vaccines—Social aspects—Barbados
- Papillomavirus vaccines—Political aspects—Barbados
- Health and race—Barbados
- Women, Black—Medical care—Barbados
- Cervix uteri—Cancer—Barbados—Prevention
- Feminist theory—Barbados
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Gender Studies
- MEDICAL / Infectious Diseases
- Cervix uteri—Cancer—Prevention
- Feminist theory
- Health and race
- Women, Black—Medical care
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 36211050