Beyond slavery : the multilayered legacy of Africans in Latin America and the Caribbean / edited by Darién J. Davis
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vii, 289 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Davis, Darién J., 1964-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Jaguar books on Latin America series
- The sounds and echoes of freedom : the impact of the Haitian Revolution on Latin America / David Geggus -- In search of liberty : the efforts of the enslaved to attain abolition in Ecuador, 1822-1852 / Camila Townsend -- Integral outsiders : Afro-Argentines in the era of Juan Manuel de Rosas and beyond / Ricardo D. Salvatore -- Free pardos and mulattoes vanquish Indians : cultural civility as conquest and modernity in Honduras / Dario Eraque -- Black abolitionists in the Quilombo de Leblon, Rio de Janeiro : symbols, organizers, and revolutionaries / Eduardo Silva -- To be Black and to be Cuban : the dilemma of Afro-Cubans in post-Independence politics / Aline Helg and Pan-Africanism, negritude, and the currency of blackness : Cuba, the Francophone Caribbean, and Brazil in comparative perspective, 1930-1950s / Darién J. Davis and Judith Michelle Williams -- The logic of displacement : Afro-Colombians and the war in Colombia / Aviva Chomsky -- Hip-hop and black public spheres in Cuba, Venezuela, and Brazil / Sujatha Fernandes and Jason Stanyek -- Unfinished migrations : from the Mexican south to the American South, impressions on Afro-Mexican migration to North Carolina / Bobby Vaughn and Ben Vinson III -- Fading in : race and representation of peoples of African descent in Latin American cinema / Darién J. Davis.
- 0742541304 (cloth : alk. paper), 0742541312 (pbk. : alk. paper), 9780742541306 (cloth : alk. paper), and 9780742541313 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 275-279) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3624266