The birth and life of opera [videorecording] / Tiger Aspect Productions for NVC Arts & Channel Four ; written & presented by Howard Goodall ; producer, Paul Sommers ; director, Rupert Edwards
- Princeton, N.J. : Films for the Humanities & Sciences, 1999.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (51 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Goodall, Howard
Tiger Aspect Productions
NVC Arts (Firm)
Channel Four (Great Britain)
Films for the Humanities & Sciences (Firm)
- Howard Goodall's big bangs
- From the birth of opera in Florence with the Camerata to the genius of Monteverdi and beyond, this program looks at how opera grew into both a form of entertainment and a a vehicle for delivering incisive social, political, and cultural messages. The operettas of Offenbach and of Gilbert and Sullivan are also considered, as is opera's maturation into a worldwide phenomenon.
- Originally broadcast in 2000 as an episode of the television series Howard Goodall's big bangs.
This disc is a recorded DVD and may not play on all DVD players or drives.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Narrator, Howard Goodall.
- Technical Details:
- Inlcudes public performance rights.
View MARC record | catkey: 3624389