White supremacy and the American media / edited by Sarah D. Nilsen and Sarah E. Turner
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2022.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xii, 292 pages).
- Additional Creators:
- Nilsen, Sarah and Turner, Sarah E.
- "This volume examines the ways in which the media, including film, television, social media, and gaming has constructed and sustained a narrative of white supremacy that has entered mainstream American discourse. With chapters by today's preeminent critical race scholars, the book looks in particular at the ways media institutions have circulated white supremacist ideology across a wide range of platforms and texts that have had significant impact on shaping our current polarized and racialized social and political landscape. Systematically scrutinising every media platform, this volume provides readers with an understanding of the ways in which media has provided institutional support for white supremacist ideology, and presents them with the means to examine and analyse the persistence of these narratives within our racial discourse, thus offering the necessary knowledge to challenge and transform these racially divisive and destructive narratives. White Supremacy and the American Media will be of interest not only to scholars working in critical race studies and popular culture in the United States, but to those working in the fields of Film and Television Studies, Sociology, Geography, Art History, Communication and Media Studies, Cultural Studies, American Studies, Popular Culture, and Media Studies"--
- 1000508595 electronic book
9781000508673 electronic book
1000508676 electronic book
9781003215172 electronic book
1003215173 electronic book
9781000508598 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Biographical Note:
- Sarah D. Nilsen is Associate Professor in Film and Television Studies at the University of Vermont, USA. Her current book project is a cultural history of the NRA’s relationship with Hollywood. Sarah E. Turner is Senior Lecturer of English at the University of Vermont, USA. Her current project explores the dialogue amongst the work of Toni Morrison, Claudia Rankine, and Kara Walker.
View MARC record | catkey: 36500127