Visual culture approaches to the selfie / edited by Derek Conrad Murray
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2022.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Murray, Derek Conrad
- Counter-selfies and the real subsumption of society / Grant Bollmer -- Self-portraiture and self performance / Katherine Guinness -- Proliferating identity : trans selfies as contemporary art / Ace Lehner.
- "This collection explores the cultural fascination with social media forms of self-portraiture, "selfies," with a specific interest in online self-imaging strategies in a Western context. The book examines the selfie as a social and technological phenomenon, but also engages with digital self-portraiture as representation: as work that is committed to rigorous object-based analysis. The scholars in this volume consider the topic of online self-portraiture - both its social function as a technology-driven form of visual communication, as well as its thematic, intellectual, historical, and aesthetic intersections with the history of art and visual culture. This book will be of interest to scholars of photography, art history, and media studies"--
- 9780367206109 electronic book
0367206102 electronic book
0429556861 electronic book
9780429561337 electronic book
0429561334 electronic book
9780429552397 electronic book
0429552394 electronic book
9780429556869 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Biographical Note:
- Derek Conrad Murray is a Professor of the History of Art and Visual Culture at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Endowment Note:
- Edward J. and Eleanor Black Nichols Library Endowment Fund
View MARC record | catkey: 36830046