REVIEW OF EXPERIENCE RELEVANT TO THE OPERATION OF COMMERCIAL FAST REACTORS
- Reliability, availability, maintainability and ease of control are the most important aspects to be considered in any assessment of the operational viability of commercial fast reactor (CFR) power stations. From studies of operating experience on nuclear and conventional power stations with the U.K. and the rest of the world it is possible to establish the factors which have most relevance to performance under these general headings and the more important factors are identified. These include the periodic and relatively prolonged outages for plant overhaul and inspections; the significance of off-load charge/discharge arrangements on nuclear stations; the ability to remove and replace plant items and the reliability of key items; and the likely level of spurious trips. Experience from operation of the Dounreay Fast Reactor and from extensive component development rigs has been used to make detailed assessments of the likely operational performance of the 250 MW(e) Prototype Fast Reactor (PFR). This has established the influence of the performance of such key features as the primary and secondary liquid metal pumps and the steam generators and the advantages of the ability to continue operation with some of these units isolated. The reliability and speed of operation of the off-load fuel handling equipment has been assessed including the influence of fuel performance particularly in the context of continued operation following fuel failures. From these assessments for PFR, some general conclusions on the operational performance of CFR stations will be drawn. The maintenance implications arising from the use of liquid metal coolant are considered against the background of the very considerable experience available in the U.K. For removable plant items it has shown that no major problems should arise and for fixed components, particularly within the primary circuit, the view is put forward that fast reactor power station designs should permit good access for repair of major faults. 8 refs. (auth)
- Report Numbers:
- A/CONF.49/P-472; CONF-710901-211
- Other Subject(s):
- DOUNREAY FAST REACTOR/maintenance of, review of.
- DOUNREAY FAST REACTOR/operations of, review of.
- FAST REACTORS
- N38170* -Power Reactor Development-Operation & Economics
- N38870 -Commercial Power Reactors-Operation & Economics
- POWER REACTORS
- PROTOTYPE FAST REACTOR/operations aspects of.
- REACTORS, FAST/operations aspects of power
- REACTORS, POWER/operations aspects of fast
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission depository collection.
- OSTI Identifier 4746925
NSA number: NSA-25-054133
Research organization: United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, Dounreay (Scotland). Reactor Group.
View MARC record | catkey: 37099367