Machine tools handbook : design and operation / Prakash Hiralal Joshi
- Joshi, P. H. (Prakash Hiralal)
- New York, N.Y. : McGraw-Hill Education, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 732 pages) : illustrations
- Language Note:
- In English.
- A. Dedication -- B. Foreword -- C. Preface -- D. Acknowledgements -- E. Nomination form -- 1. Introduction -- Classification -- Machine tool requisites -- Economic considerations for the type of machine tool chosen -- Basic machine tools -- 2. Machine tool drives and mechanisms -- Rotary drives -- Mechanical drives -- Tensioning belts -- Timer belts -- Chain drive -- Sprocket design -- Tolerances -- Gearing -- Correction -- Gear design -- Pumps -- Hydraulic valves -- Piping -- 3. Rectilinear or translatory drives -- Converting rotary drive to translatory motion -- Generating intermittent periodic motion -- 4. Drive transmission and manipulation -- Couplings -- Clutches -- Motion reversal mechanisms -- 5. Machine tool elements -- Spindles -- Guideways for machine tools -- 6. Machine tool dynamics -- Stability of a system -- 7. Machine tool operation -- Requisites of a good control system -- Electrical automation -- Fluid power automation -- Numerical control [nc] -- 8. Tool engineering -- What tooling comprises -- Requisites of tool materials -- Common tool materials -- Common workpiece materials -- Choice of material -- Machining -- Tooling -- Jigs and fixtures -- A. Bibliography.
- Machine Tools Handbook: Design and Operation is a practical guide which an engineer can use while designing a new machine. The book introduces basic machine tools, followed by a discussion on various types of machine tool drives, their mechanisms, transmission and manipulation. It also provides an in-depth coverage of machine tool elements and operation, including working of electrical elements such as contactors, time relays, etc. Besides these Machine Tools Handbook also covers the pertinent aspects of tool engineering. The author shares his rich experience of over 35 years with: ? Mechanical/Production engineers ? Professionals from small and medium scale enterprises ? Consultants ? Students and academicians The author brings in this book his original development-Gear Box Design Machine Tools Handbook includes important topics like: ? Gear box design ? Thumb rules for designing machine elements ? Design of hydraulic system ? Specifications of hydraulic valves, piping, pumps and tanks ? Design of electrical circuits ? Elementary NC and CNC programmes.
- 9780070617391 (e-ISBN)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. New York, N.Y. : McGraw Hill, 2007. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 37106734