Manager's guide to navigating change / Stephen Rock
- Rock, Stephen
- New York, N.Y. : McGraw-Hill Education, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 203 pages) : illustrations
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Acknowledgments -- Introduction -- 1. Faster, easier changes: the business case for change management -- Changing the "change curve" -- Change management isn't rocket science -- What does and doesn't affect change management -- Change management works -- Manager's checklist for chapter 1 -- 2. Organizational change starts with individual change -- The biology and psychology of change -- The resistance you'll encounter -- Handling resistance -- Why and how major change initiatives fail -- Manager's checklist for chapter 2 -- 3. The vision: starting with the end in mind -- Step 1. Defining what the future looks like -- Step 2. Understanding the rationale for change -- Step 3. Understanding the approach for achieving the change -- Communicating the vision -- The importance of a clear vision -- Manager's checklist for chapter 3 -- 4. Creating sustainable change -- Aligning your efforts -- Objectives -- Processes -- People -- The glue: change leadership -- Making change sustainable -- Manager's checklist for chapter 4 -- 5. The aspire framework for change -- You're the architect -- Aspire overview -- Doing a stakeholder analysis -- Be an architect of change -- Manager's checklist for chapter 5 -- 6. Creating awareness -- Assess the as-is: where does your audience stand? -- Set the goals: establish your awareness goals -- Plan your awareness program: how will you communicate? -- Implementing, recognizing, and evaluating -- The critical awareness step -- Manager's checklist for chapter 6 -- 7. Ensuring understanding -- Poised for success -- Cascading information -- Engaging senior leaders in understanding -- Training as the key to understanding -- Creating a successful training program -- Manager's checklist for chapter 7 -- 8. Participating in the change process -- Why participation is crucial -- Building active participation -- Who should participate in the change process?four key roles -- Know when to call your people in, and when to hold off -- How the four key roles participate -- Many of us already know how to build a change plan -- Manager's checklist for chapter 8 -- 9. Using leverage to ease the effort -- When to build your leverage program -- Leadership alignment -- C.r.e.a.t.e. A thriving change environment -- Keeping alignment means managing your stakeholders -- Change agents -- Communications: create once; use many times -- Manager's checklist for chapter 9 -- 10. Measuring the progress of change -- Creating effective milestones -- Judging progress -- Building your scorecard -- Will scorecards work for you? -- Good leadership = good scorecards -- Manager's checklist for chapter 10 -- 11. The secret weapon: governance -- Elements that guide governance -- Key elements #1 and #2: establish objectives and guiding principles -- Key element #3: grant authority and responsibility in relationships -- Key element #4: verify performance -- Key element #5: institute cohesive policies and procedures -- Key element #6: foster a culture of collaboration -- Manager's checklist for chapter 11 -- 12. What is it really like to create change? -- Assessing your change environment: the four culture changes -- The characteristics you need -- Handling conflict: seek collaboration not consensus -- The dos and don'ts of compassion -- Wrapping it up: your job as a change manager -- Model stewardship -- Manager's checklist for chapter 12.
- The only guarantee in business is change. All managers need to understand that they will either be buffeted by change or help shape it. Knowing how to do that is the real test of leadership in today's organizational environments. Manager's Guide to Navigating Change provides methods for managing risks and ensuring the organization continues to move forward through turbulence created by both internal and external events.
- 9780071776141 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- "Briefcasebooks"-- Cover
"Learn how to effectively communicate new initiatives; Strategies for maintaining a positive workplace; Tools to ensure forward momentum." -- Cover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. New York, N.Y. : McGraw Hill, 2013. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 37107154