Rhetorics of religion in American fiction [electronic resource] : faith, fundamentalism, and fanaticism in the age of terror / Liliana M. Naydan
- Naydan, Liliana M.
- Additional Titles:
- Faith, fundamentalism, and fanaticism in the age of terror
- Lewisburg : Bucknell University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: the paradox of religion in America and American literature -- Uncertain faith for Islamic others after 9/11: capitalist and religious fundamentalisms in Mohsin Hamid's The reluctant fundamentalist and Laila Halaby's Once in a promised land -- Beyond religious, atheistic, and capitalist fundamentalisms for post-9/11 Jewish others: the rhetoric of art in Philip Roth's Everyman and Exit ghost -- Toward a post-9/11 rhetoric of Catholic mystery: terror and fundamentalism in Don Delillo's "Baader-Meinhof" and Point omega -- Emergent varieties of religious experience from a Protestant perspective: fundamentalist, fanatical, and hybrid faith in John Updike's "varieties of religious experience" and Terrorist -- Between Protestantism and pantheism: post-9/11 rhetorics of nature, science, and religion in Barbara Kingsolver's Small wonder and Flight behavior -- Conclusion: memorializing 9/11 through interfaith dialogue with and about American fiction about religion.
- "This book addresses representations of belief in the polarized post-9/11 Age of Terror. Naydan tracks how both major and less-known contemporary authors of diverse religious heritages negotiate religious and ideological differences that involve secularism and atheism on the one hand and religious fundamentalism and fanaticism on the other" --
- American fiction—20th century—History and criticism
- American fiction—21st century—History and criticism
- Religion in literature
- Secularism in literature
- Fundamentalism in literature
- Terrorism in literature
- September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001—Influence
- War on Terrorism, 2001-2009—Influence
- Religion and literature—United States—History—20th century
- Religion and literature—United States—History—21st century..
- 9781611487442 (Electronic)
9781611487435 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37129731