Strike for the common good [electronic resource] : fighting for the future of public education / Rebecca Kolins Givan and Amy Schrager Lang, editors
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 272 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Givan, Rebecca Kolins, 1975- and Lang, Amy Schrager
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "Recent teacher walkouts affirm public education as a crucial public benefit and understand the rampant disinvestment in public education not simply as a local issue affecting teacher paychecks but also as a danger to communities and to democracy. In February 2018, 35,000 public school educators and staff walked off the job in West Virginia. More than 100,000 teachers in other states--both right-to-work states, like West Virginia, and those with a unionized workforce--followed them over the next year. From Arizona, Kentucky, and Oklahoma to Colorado and California, teachers announced to state legislators that not only their abysmal wages but the deplorable conditions of their work and the increasingly straitened circumstances of public education were unacceptable"--
- 9780472074723 (hardcover)
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37131278