The history of skiffle
- Additional Titles:
- Additional title from container: Washboards... kazoos... banjos
- [Germany] : Bear Family Records, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 6 audio discs ; 4 3/4 in.
4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Krüger, Ulf, Leadbelly, 1885-1949, Colyer, Ken, Donegan, Lonnie, Bishop, Dick, Duncan, Johnny, 1932-2000, Lomax, Alan, 1915-2002, Bush, Ray (Skiffle musician), Christmas, Johnny, Jackson, Jimmy (Singer), Wende, Horst, Mozam Skiffle Group, Alabama Washboard Stompers, Chris Barber Skiffle Group, Sidekicks (Skiffle group), Vipers Skiffle Group, Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group, Bob Cort Skiffle Group, Hobeaux (Musical group), Barnstormers Spasm Band, City Ramblers Skiffle Group, Ramblers (Musical group : Alan Lomax), Beryl Bryden's Backroom Skiffle Group, Alexis Korner Skiffle Group, Avon Cities Skiffle Group, Bob Wallis' Washboard Beaters (Musical group), 2:19 Skiffle Group, Station Skiffle Group, Delta Skiffle Group, Lea Valley Skiffle Group, Sunspots (Musical group), Blue Jeans Skiffle Group, Worried Men Skiffle Group, Coffee Bar Skifflers (Musical group), Roban's Skiffle Group, Lighttown Skiffle Group, Havel City Ramblers, Skiffle Boys (Musical group : Horst Wende), Eden Street Skiffle Group, and Soho Skiffle Group
- Language Note:
- Sung in English, German, and Dutch; some selections are translated from English.
- CD 1, Die Ahnen = The originals. It won't act right (the Memphis Jug Band. Pigmeat stomp (Alabama Washboard Stompers). There's a man going round taking names (Leadbelly). Midnight special ; Casey Jones ; K.C. Moan ; Take this hammer ; Down by the riverside ; Go down old Hannah ; Streamline train ; Old Riley ; Down bound train ; Stack-O-Lee blues ; Muleskinner blues ; The grey goose ; Sporting life ; House rent stomp ; I can't sleep ; This train ; Midnight hour blues ; Go down sunshine ; Ella Speed ; Ham'n eggs ; Nobody knows the trouble I've seen ; Down by the riverside ; Hard time blues ; Nobody's child ; You don't know my mind ; Midnight special (Ken Colyer) -- CD 2, Der König = The king. Rock Island Line ; John Henry ; Wabash Cannonball ; Midnight Special ; When the sun goes down ; New buryin' ground ; Worried man blues ; The ballad of Jesse James ; Railroad Bill ; Stewball ; Dead or alive ; Wreck of the old 97 ; Cumberland Gap ; Gamblin' man ; Puttin' on the style ; My Dixie darling ; Jack O'Diamonds ; The Grand Coulee Dam ; Lonesome traveller ; Light from the lighthouse ; The goldrush is over ; Jimmy Brown, the newsboy ; Diggin' my potatoes ; On a Monday ; Brother Moses smote the water ; Ella Speed ; Glory (Lonnie Donegan) -- CD 3, Die Profis = The professionals. Gypsy Davy ; Can't you line em ; Where could I go ; Doin' my time (the Chris Barber Skiffle Group). No other baby ; Cumberland Gap (Dickie Bishop & his Sidekicks). Last train to San Fernando ; Rock-a-billy baby (Johnny Duncan). Ain't you glad ; Pick a bale of cotton ; It takes a worried man to sing a worried song ; Don't you rock me daddy-o ; 10,000 years ago ; Hey liley, liley lo ; Jim Dandy ; The Cumberland Gap ; Maggie May ; Streamline train (the Vipers Skiffle Group). Freight train ; It takes a worried man ; Greenback dollar ; I'm satisfied (the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group). Don't you rock me daddy-o ; Maggie May ; Ain't that a shame ; Six-five-special (the Bob Cort Skiffle Group). Mama don't allow ; Hey, hey, daddy blues ; Toll the bell easy ; Oh, Mary don't you weep (Les Hobeaux) -- CD 4, Puristen & Jazzer = Purists & jazzers. Won't you come home Bill Bailey ; Whistling Rufus (Barnstormers Spasm Band). 900 miles ; Picket line ; Midnight special ; I shall not be moved ; When the saints ; Keep your pistol good and loaded ; I want a girl ; Mama don't allow ; 2:19 blues (City Ramblers Skiffle Group). Hard case ; Railroad man ; Oh Lula (Alan Lomax and the Ramblers). Kansas City blues ; Casey Jones (Beryl Bryden's Backroom Skiffle Group). I ain't gonna worry no more ; Sail on ; Death letter (Alexis Korner Skiffle Group). Green corn ; This little light of mine ; Fisherman's blues ; Hey hey daddy blues ; Lonesome day blues ; I don't know ; How long ; Julian Johnson (Ray Bush & the Avon Cities' Skiffle). Meeting at the building ; Tight like that ; Julia Johnson ; K.C. Moan (Bob Wallis' Washboard Beaters) -- CD 5, Schüler, Jünger & Trittbrettfahrer = Pupils, young pretenders & copycats. Hand me down my walking cane ; Trouble in mind (2:19 Skiffle Group). Steamboat Bill ; Titanic (Station Skiffle Group). John Brown's body ; Skip to my Lou (the Delta Skiffle Group). Steamline train ; I'm gonna walk and talk (the Lea Valley Skiffle Group). Mister and Mississippi ; (I'm gonna) Sing, sing, sing (Johnny Christmas & the Sunspots). Lonesome traveller (Blue Jeans Skiffle Group). This little light of mine (the Worried Men Skiffle Group). Steamboat Bill ; Ella Speed (the Coffee Bar Skifflers). I shall not be moved ; Good morning blues (Jimmy Jackson). Railroad Bill ; Worried man blues ; Sometimes ; John B. (Roban's Skiffle Group). Midnite Special ; Jim Crawl (Mozam Skiffle Group). Trula, o!, Trula ; He Marie druk toch niet op die Bel ; Doe je Ruimtepakkie aan ; Komm doch zurück = Sloop John B. (Lighttown Skiffle Group). Swing low ; Bei mir bist du schön ; Yes sir that's my baby ; Fräulein Helene (Havel City Ramblers). You are my sunshine (Horst Wende & die Skiffle Boys) -- CD 6, Raritäten = Rarities. Don't you rock me daddy-o ; This land is your land ; Pay me my money down ; Puttin' on the style ; Hey liley liley lo ; 10,000 years ago ; Liza Jane ; Hand me down my walking cane ; I wanna go home ; Maggie May ; Get along home Cindy ; Do Lord remember me ; Man taking names ; Mary, don't you weep ; Gloryland ; Judy drowned ; Black girl ; Old Smokey ; Raise the ruckus tonight ; Heaven ; Easy rider ; Ain't that a shame (the Eden Street Skiffle Group). Steamline train ; Frankie & Johnny ; I shall not be moved ; Give me a big fat woman (the Soho Skiffle Group).
- Related Titles:
Purists & jazzers
Purists and jazzers
Pupils, young pretenders & copycats
Pupils, young pretenders and copycats
- Sound Characteristics:
- 1.4 m/s
- Medium of Performance:
- ensemble 1 1
- Digital File Characteristics:
- CD audio
- Skiffle songs and other related forms of popular music, primarily from the 1950s in England and Europe.
Title from disc label.
Previously released recordings (1930-1963).
In four containers; in box (32 cm).
Program and biographical notes on the performers by Ulf Krüger in German with English translations (87 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 31 cm) laid in box.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Various performers.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded (in part live) 1930 May 21, 1930-1963.
- Endowment Note:
- Henry Levine Memorial Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 37134395