Nine silences / Doireann Ní Ghríofa & Alice Maher
- Ní Ghríofa, Doireann
- Additional Titles:
- 9 silences
- Dublin : The Salvage Press, MMXVIII 
- Copies numbered 1-50.
- Physical Description:
- 38 unnumbered pages : illustration (woodcut) ; 32 cm (in slipcase 32 x 23 cm)
- Additional Creators:
- Maher, Alice, 1956-, Murphy, Jamie (Printer), Duffy, Tom (Binder), Duffy Bookbinders, and Salvage Press
- In this series of poems, Doireann Ní Ghríofa responds to art by Alice Maher. Nine Silences is a consideration of the embodiment of female silence, mermaids, and the monstrousness of the feminine, deepening into an exploration of the otherness of female desire and domesticity.
- Artists' books—Ireland—Dublin—21st century—Specimens
- Wood-engraving—Ireland—Dublin—21st century—Specimens
- Fine books—Ireland—Dublin—Specimens
- Limited editions—Ireland—Dublin—Specimens
- Livres d'artistes—Irlande—Dublin—21e siècle—Spécimens
- Artists' books
- Fine books
- Limited editions
- Fine Printing Collection.
- "Printed in an edition of 80 books. Copies numbered 1-50 have been bound in marbled paper over boards, housed in a transparent perspex slipcase. Four similar copies marked i-iv are for collaborators. Copies lettered A-Z have been half-bound in salmon leather and marbled paper and are presented, accompanied by a folded printing of the complete woodcut in a cloth covered solander box."--Colophon
"Designed, typeset and letterpress printed by Jamie Murphy with great assistance from Sarah O'Neill, Lorcan Rush and Lauren Shannon O'Brien at Distillers Press, NCAD, Dublin. The type is hand-set in 14 and 24 point Méridien, designed by Adrian Frutiger in 1954 (this foundry type released by Deberny & Peignot, Paris, 1957). Alice Maher's fragmented woodcut has been printed from scorched and brushed ash. The 150gsm Hodgkinson handmade paper was produced for the Stanbrook Abbey Press in 1974 and kept dry until now by John Purcell in London. The marbled paper design has been prepared by Jemma Lewis using Irish Carrageen Moss. The bindings were executed by Tom, Pat, Tommy and Patricia Duffy at their workshop in Dublin's Five Lamps area."--Colophon.
Issued in transparent red perspex acrylic slipcase.
Title, poem titles, and woodcut illustration pieces printed in orange.
Rare Books copy: Of a limited edition of 50 copies, bound in marbled paper over boards and housed in a transparent red perspex acrylic slipcase, this is copy 40; signed by Doireann Ní Ghríofa, Alice Maher and Jamie Murphy on colophon; special archival housing requested.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased from Jamie Murphy, The Salvage Press; 2022.
Rare Books copy: Purchased in part with funds from the A. Howry and Erma Espenshade Memorial Libraries Endowment; 2023.
Rare Books copy: Purchased in part with funds from the James Milholland Rare Books Endowment; 2023.
View MARC record | catkey: 37402123