Newborn socialist things : materiality in Maoist China / Laurence Coderre
- Coderre, Laurence, 1984-
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2021.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 246 pages) : illustrations
- Restrictions on Access:
- Restrictions unspecified
- Introduction -- The sonic imaginary -- Selling revolution -- Productivist display -- Illuminating the commodity fetish -- Remediating the hero -- The model in the mirror -- Coda.
- "The Chinese Cultural Revolution (1966-76) is typically cast as a time of ubiquitous politics and scarce goods. Indeed, with the exception of the likeness and words of Mao Zedong, the media and material culture of the Cultural Revolution are often characterized as a void out of which the postsocialist world of commodity consumption miraculously sprang fully formed. In Newborn Socialist Things Laurence Coderre argues that the Cultural Revolution media environment and the ways in which its constituent elements engaged with contemporaneous discourses of materiality and political economy anticipated the widespread commodification now so closely associated with the Reform Period (1978-present)"--Publisher's description.
"Laurence Coderre explores the material culture of the Chinese Cultural Revolution to show how it paved the way for rampant commodification and consumption in contemporary China."--
- Socialism—China—History—20th century
- Mass media—Political aspects—China
- Mass media and culture—China
- Material culture—China—History—20th century
- Commodification—China—History—20th century
- Médias et culture—Chine
- Culture matérielle—Chine—Histoire—20e siècle
- Marchandisation—Chine—Histoire—20e siècle
- HISTORY / Asia / China
- Mass media—Political aspects
- Mass media and culture
- China—History—Cultural Revolution, 1966-1976
- Chine—Histoire—1966-1976 (Révolution culturelle)
9781478021612 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. [Place of publication not identified]: HathiTrust Digital Library. 2022.
- Technical Details:
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action Note:
- digitized 2022. HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- Endowment Note:
- The Hastings Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 37402539