Literature in times of crisis / editor, Robert C. Evans, Auburn University at Montgomery
- Additional Titles:
- At head of title: Critical insights
- Ipswich, Massachusetts : Salem Press, a division of EBSCO Information Services, Inc. ; Amenia, NY : Grey House Publishing, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxvii pages, 326 unnumbered pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Evans, Robert C., 1955-
- About this volume / Robert C. Evans -- Why study premodern pandemic experience? / Rebecca Totaro -- "Earth hath swallowed all my hopes but she" : inheritance, reproduction, and plague in Romeo and Juliet / Matthew Thiele -- Commentary on plague and disease in the early and later modern periods / Matthew Thiele -- Greek tragedy, black swans, and the coronavirus : the consolation of theatre / Edwin Wong -- Learning in wartime : Samuel Johnson and spiritual transcendence in The vanity of human wishes / Brandon Schneeberger -- Key ancient crises : construction of plot and the story of the Trojan War in the Iliad / Fabian Horn -- Crises in Sophocles's Antigone / Kenneth Kitchell -- Crisis and conspiracy in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar / Robert C. Evans -- Charles Brockden Brown's "The man at home" : crisis, isolation, and narrative / John C. Havard, et al. -- Apocalypse and postapocalypse in nineteenth-century literature / Brett Stifflemire -- Crises in John Steinbeck's The grapes of wrath, especially Grampa's death / Robert C. Evans -- Apocalypse and postapocalypse in fiction and film, 1945-1970 / Brett Stifflemire -- The crisis of the archives : Susan Howe's "Articulation of sound forms in time" / Joyce Kelley -- Crises in Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad : the dramatic adaptation / Robert C. Evans -- The film version of Cormac McCarthy's The road : a survey of reviews / Kelsie Kato -- Crisis and crises in Homer's Iliad and Pat Barker's The silence of the girls / Maria Antonietta Struzziero -- Additional works on literature in times of crisis -- Bibliography -- About the editor -- Contributors -- Index.
- "Almost since its inception, literature has emphasized and explored crises of various sorts, including political upheavals, social turmoil, destructive warfare, familial and personal conflicts, and devastating external dangers, especially those involving disease, the environment, the economy, and natural disasters. This book explores a wide range of kinds of crises and the ways they have been written about in literature of various genres and time periods. It also emphasizes the artistry involved in the various works it examines."--Publisher description.
- 9781642657555 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37407894