American experience. War of the worlds / produced and directed by Cathleen O'Connell ; a Desert Penguin Pictures, LLC production for American Experience
- Additional Titles:
- War of the worlds
- Arlington, VA : Public Broadcasting Service, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (53 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- O'Connell, Cathleen, Platt, Oliver, Ferrari, Michelle, Schwartz, A. Brad (Austin Bradley), WGBH Educational Foundation, Desert Penguin Pictures (Firm), and Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.)
- Language Note:
- In English.
- On Halloween Eve, 1938, a news bulletin reported that Martians had landed in a tiny New Jersey town. Although most listeners understood that the program was a radio drama, thousands of others plunged into panic, convinced that America was under a deadly attack. War of the Worlds explores how Orson Welles' ingenious use of radio struck fear into an already anxious nation.
- Wells, H. G. (Herbert George), 1866-1946—Criticism and interpretation
- Wells, H. G. (Herbert George), 1866-1946. War of the worlds
- War of the worlds (Radio program)
- Radio plays—History and criticism
- Radio plays—Production and direction
- Radio broadcasting—United States—History
- Hysteria (Social psychology)
- Mars (Planet)—In literature
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed March 11, 2022).
Originally broadcast October 29, 2013, as an episode of the PBS series American Experience.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Edited by Brian Funck ; story by Michelle Ferrari & A. Brad Schwartz ; telescript by Michelle Ferrari.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Narrated by Oliver Platt.
View MARC record | catkey: 37411113