The multi-boot configuration handbook / Roderick Smith
- Smith, Roderick W.
- Indianapolis, Ind. : Que, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xv, 640 pages) : illustrations
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Restrictions unspecified
- The trials and triumphs of a multi-OS computer -- Operating systems for x86 hardware in 2000 -- The x86 BIOS: Its limits and capabilities -- Boot loaders: Simple and complex -- Hard disk partition basics -- Tools for disc partitioning -- Tips for optimizing system performance -- Modifying partitions after the fact -- The OS installation checklist -- Installing specific operating systems -- Finding help -- Filesystems for assorted OSs -- Tools for accessing foreign filesystems -- Application data file formats -- Cross-platform utilities -- Cross-platform applications -- Modifying GUI look and feel -- OSs within OSs: Emulators -- TCP/IP networking -- File and printer sharing -- Ensuring adequate resources -- Finding drivers -- Performing hardware upgrades -- Index.
- The Multi-Boot Configuration Handbook provides guidance to installing two or more OSes on a single computer. This book explains why things work the way they do and gives examples of real-world experience in using multiple operating systems in harmony with one another. You'll be able to coax several OSes into coexisting on one computer. You'll also understand something more about the basics of how a PC operates. See how to avoid the frustration of installing multiple operation systems. The Multi-Boot Configuration Handbook provides a guide to the intricacies of installing and maintaining a multi-OS computer.
- Includes index.
Title from title screen.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Technical Details:
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action Note:
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
View MARC record | catkey: 37414621