Down range : a transitioning veteran's career guide to life's next phase / James D. Murphy and William M. Duke
- Murphy, James D. (James Daniel), 1964-
- Hoboken : Wiley, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (226 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Duke, William M.
- Language Note:
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Contents; Introduction: You Have Everything They Need; Chapter 1 Transition Your Mindset: It's a Brand New Mission; Scale and Variety; Hierarchy versus Flatness; Mission-Driven versus Profit-Driven; Service versus Employment; Intrusion versus Privacy; Constant duty versus On the Clock; Learning the Language; Chapter 2 Translating the Values You Bring to Business; Locked; Leadership; Organization; Communication; Knowledge and Experience; Discipline; Chapter 3 Before You Step Outside the Wire, Determine Your Objective; The Six Steps of Planning, The Planning HorizonThe Career Key Areas; Interests/Industry: What's Your Passion?; Advancement: Your Capacity for Future Growth; Money and Total Compensation: What Are Your Options?; Security: Career Stability and How to Assess; People and Philosophy: Finding Fit; Challenge: Leaning Forward or Leaning Back; Location: Home, the Unspoken Threat to Your Career; Chapter 4 Identify the Threats; Six Steps of Planning; Threat #1: You!; Threat #2: Your Virtual Signature; Threat #3: OPSEC and Recruiters; Threat #4: Flat Hierarchy and Fit; Threat #5: Language and General Knowledge, Threat #6: Civilian Misperceptions and StereotypesThreat #7: Resumes; Threat #8: Applicant Tracking Systems (ATSs); Threat #9: Interviews; Chapter 5 Identify Your Resources; Six Steps of Planning; Veterans' Benefits; Leadership Training; Dual Career Option; Networking, Mentors, Coaches, and Recruiters; Chapter 6 Evaluate Lessons Learned; Six Steps of Planning; Translating Job Titles; Researching the Opportunity and the Company; Consider Timing; Play the Field; Establish Career Progression; Go or No-Go; Chapter 7 Develop a Course of Action; Six Steps of Planning; Maria's Story: Getting Started, The Course of ActionRed Team Your Plan; Career Contingency Planning; Chapter 8 Selling the Most Important Commodity: You!; Your Value Arsenal-Demonstrations of Effectiveness; Locked-Leadership; Locked-Organization; Locked-Communication; Locked-Knowledge; Locked-Experience; Locked-Discipline; Draft Your Targeted Value Proposition; Chapter 9 Interview to Win!; Preparing for an Interview; What to Expect in an Interview; Interview Questions; Negotiating an Offer; Chapter 10 Down Range: Put Your Career Plan into Action; Rising Opportunities for Veterans; Appendix A: The Six Steps of Planning, and Appendix B: Career Planning WorksheetAppendix C: Example Career Plan; Appendix D: Resume Construction Template and Tips; Resume Tips; Appendix E: Cover Letter Template and Tips; Appendix F: Getting Noticed on an ATS Query; Step 1; Step 2; Step 3; Step 4; Step 5; Appendix G: Practice Interview Questions Bank; The STAR Method; Behavioral Practice Questions; Appendix H: Interview/Opportunity Preparation Checklist; Preparation for an Interview; Materials for an Interview; Interview; Follow-up; Appendix I: Men's Interview Attire and Grooming Checklist
- Military veterans prepare for the next mission in their careers Written by veterans who have successfully made the transition, Down Range offers career planning guidance to U.S. military veterans coming off active duty. This is NOT simply a guide to transitioning from the military to the civilian world. This is NOT a guide to getting a job. This book IS a guide to developing a post-military career, not just for the first few days, weeks, or months after active duty, but for the rest of your employed life. This simple and effective planning process has been taught to more than 1 million busine.
- 9781118825617 (electronic bk.)
1118825616 (electronic bk.)
9781118825716 (electronic bk.)
1118825713 (electronic bk.)
- Includes index.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37431911