- Language Note:
- At a Glance; Chapter 1: Getting Started; Installing SQL Server Express Edition; Installing Books Online; Using Books Online; Using SQL Server Management Studio; Launching SQL Server Management Studio; Installing the Sample Databases; Get Started with SSMS; Summary; Chapter 2: Exploring Database Concepts; What Is SQL Server?; Databases in the Cloud; Service vs. Application; Database as Container; Data Is Stored in Tables; Data Types; Normalization; Understanding Indexes; Database Schemas; Summary; Chapter 3: Writing Simple SELECT Queries; Using the SELECT Statement., Selecting a Literal ValueRetrieving from a Table; Generating a Select-List; Mixing Literals and Column Names; Filtering Data; Adding a WHERE Clause; Using WHERE Clauses with Alternate Operators; Using BETWEEN; Using BETWEEN with NOT; Filtering on Date and Time; Using WHERE Clauses with Two Predicates; Using the IN Operator; Working with NULL; Sorting Data; Thinking About Performance; Taking Advantage of Indexes; Viewing Execution Plans; Summary; Answers to the Exercises; Solutions to Exercise 3-1: Using the SELECT Statement; Solutions to Exercise 3-2: Filtering Data., Solutions to Exercise 3-3: Using WHERE Clauses with Two PredicatesSolutions to Exercise 3-4: Working with NULL; Solutions to Exercise 3-5: Sorting Data; Chapter 4: Using Built-In Functions and Expressions; Expressions Using Operators; Concatenating Strings; Concatenating Strings and NULL; CONCAT; ISNULL and COALESCE; Concatenating Other Data Types to Strings; Using Mathematical Operators; Using String Functions; RTRIM and LTRIM; LEFT and RIGHT; LEN and DATALENGTH; CHARINDEX; SUBSTRING; CHOOSE; REVERSE; UPPER and LOWER; REPLACE; Nesting Functions; Using Date and Time Functions., GETDATE and SYSDATETIMEDATEADD; DATEDIFF; DATENAME and DATEPART; DAY, MONTH, and YEAR; CONVERT; FORMAT; DATEFROMPARTS; EOMONTH; Using Mathematical Functions; ABS; POWER; SQUARE and SQRT; ROUND; RAND; Logical Functions and Expressions; The CASE Expression; Simple CASE; Searched CASE; Listing a Column as the Return Value; IIF; COALESCE; Administrative Function s; Using Functions in the WHERE and ORDER BY Clauses; The TOP Keyword; Thinking About Performance; Summary; Answers to the Exercises; Solutions to Exercise 4-1: Expressions Using Operators., and Solutions to Exercise 4-2: Using Mathematical OperatorsSolution to Exercise 4-3: Using Functions; Solution to Exercise 4-4: Using Date and Time Functions; Solution to Exercise 4-5: Using Mathematical Functions; Solution to Exercise 4-6: Using Logical and System Functions; Solution to Exercise 4-7: Using Functions in the WHERE and ORDER BY Clauses; Chapter 5: Joining Tables; Using INNER JOIN; Joining Two Tables; Avoiding an Incorrect Join Condition; Joining on a Different Column Name; Joining on More Than One Column; Joining Three or More Tables; Using OUTER JOIN; Using LEFT OUTER JOIN.
- This book begins with an introduction to databases, normalization, and SQL Server Management Studio. Attention is given to Azure SQL Database and how to connect to remote databases in the cloud. Each subsequent chapter teaches an aspect of T-SQL, building on the skills learned in previous chapters. Exercises in most chapters provide an opportunity for the hands-on practice that leads to true learning and distinguishes the competent professional. Important techniques such as windowing functions are covered to help write fast executing queries that solve real business problems. A stand-out feature in this book is the end-of-chapter "Thinking About Performance" section which cover aspects of query performance relative to the content just presented. --
- Other Subject(s):
- 9781484200469 (electronic bk.)
1484200462 (electronic bk.)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37434498