Mastering Linux network administration : master the skills and techniques that are required to design, deploy, and administer real Linux-based networks / Jay LaCroix
- LaCroix, Jay
- Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 volume) : illustrations
- Cover ; Copyright; Credits; About the Author; About the Reviewers; www.PacktPub.com; Table of Contents; Preface; Chapter 1: Setting up Your Environment ; Getting started; Distributions to consider; Physical machines versus virtual machines; Setting up and configuring VirtualBox; Acquiring VirtualBox; Downloading and installing the Extension Pack; Acquiring and installing Debian 8; Acquiring and installing CentOS 7; Summary; Chapter 2: Revisiting Linux Network Basics ; Understanding the TCP/IP protocol suite; Naming the network device; Understanding Linux hostname resolution, Understanding the net-tools and iproute2 suitesManually managing network interfaces; Managing connections with Network Manager; Summary; Chapter 3: Communicating Between Nodes via SSH ; Using OpenSSH; Installing and configuring OpenSSH; Connecting to network hosts via openssh-client; The OpenSSH config file; Understanding and utilizing scp; Transferring files to another node via scp; Tunneling traffic via SSH; Generating public keys; Keeping SSH connections alive; Exploring an alternative to SSH -- utilizing Mosh (mobile shell); Summary; Chapter 4: Setting up a File Server, File server considerationsNFS v3 versus NFS v4; Setting up an NFS server; Learning the basics of Samba; Setting up a Samba server; Mounting network shares; Automatically mounting network shares via fstab and systemd; Creating networked filesystems with SSHFS; Summary; Chapter 5: Monitoring System Resources ; Inspecting and managing processes; Understanding load average; Checking available memory; Using shell-based resource monitors; Scanning used storage; Introduction to logging; Maintaining log size with logrotate; Understanding the systemd init system; Understanding the systemd journal, and Chapter 9: Securing Your Network Limiting the attack surface; Securing OpenSSH; Configuring the iptables firewall; Protecting system services with fail2ban; Understanding SELinux; Configuring Apache to utilize SSL; Deploying security updates; Summary; Chapter 10: Troubleshooting Network Issues ; Tracing routing issues; Troubleshooting DHCP issues; Troubleshooting DNS issues; Displaying connection statistics with netstat; Scanning your network with nmap and Zenmap; Installing missing firmware on Debian systems; Troubleshooting issues with Network Manager; Summary; Index
- Chapter 6: Configuring Network Services ; Planning your IP address layout; Installing and configuring a DHCP server; Installing and configuring a DNS server; Setting up an internal NTP server; Summary; Chapter 7: Hosting HTTP Content via Apache ; Installing Apache; Configuring Apache; Adding modules; Setting up virtual hosts; Summary; Chapter 8 : Understanding Advanced Networking Concepts; Dividing your network into subnets; Understanding the CIDR notation; Implementing Quality of Service; Routing TCP/IP traffic; Creating redundant DHCP and DNS servers; Summary
- 1784390682 electronic bk.
9781784390686 (electronic bk.)
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37439369